Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Unit 3

Hi everyone,  Can you believe it, it's time for unit 3 already.. wow how time flies.  Rating myself for optimal well-being overall I would say I am a solid 8.5:)  Physically, I think I am a little better than that, like a 9 to 9.5.  I exercise almost everyday and am a pretty fit person.  Physiologically,  I would say for the most part I rate myself  around a 9.0 I usually can handle stress very well and feel mostly good about myself, now spiritually is where I probably rate myself the lowest I'm not sure why but I think that I would rate myself around a 7.5 at best.  I don't really consider myself a spiritual person although at times I guess I might be. 
My goal to improve myself physically would be to add some more strength training into my workout plan.  I think it's a really good idea so my bones stay strong.  Physiologically, I would want to become more patient with my kids using positive outlets.
Spiritually, I'm not sure I can really improve on this, because it's not really a concern for me.  I do enjoy doing yoga and doing progressive relaxation and that keeps me really centered and to some degree it feels like a spiritual experience.
I would like to start using our weights downstairs in my basement  more often, I also like using the medicine ball to stretch and relax with breath.  Sometimes I listen to music  but not all the time.  I think using the music from this class is a great way to start with meditation, and it makes it nice to de- stress.
I like the music that was played and the fact that he was really focusing on the diaphragmatic breathing.  The rainbow meditation was interesting I like how the different colors were specific to areas of the body.  I also liked that it focused on  being grounded.  I guess the part that was a little annoying is that he wanted me to repeat some of the sayings... Like "I feel Grounded", or "I feel Centered." once I got used to it though it was not annoying anymore:)  Sometimes you just have to let things go and give them a chance you might just find out that you really like it.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel~
    As I read your blog this day, you really have a charming way of journaling your thoughts and ideas. Really cool. You seem to enjoy life; especially staying healthy and fit. Our class is pretty cool and I am learning and experiencing alot. I have a goal to learn and do more meditative and yoga techniques. I love to dance and choreograph routines as I go and I also love listening to music. That's a good start to keep my heart pumping and my mind moving. I tried Zumba which I loved until I shook too hard and hurt my back. I'm ok now...can't keep an active woman down (LOL). Well, have a great day. "See" you in class.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patricia, I also love dancing but don't get the chance to do it very often.. I also tried zumba.. it was okay but it started to bother my right hip a little bit. I guess I probably just got bored with the same routines, I need some variety when I dance. I used to be a gymnast so I would make some of my dance moves up.. aaahh the memories:) Thanks for blogging with me:)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. With your current accomplishment of completing a half marathon I would think that you are in optimal physical health. But what about the foods you intake? Are they healthy or do you have a sweet tooth? Do you feel that this area of wellness is at the same score as your physical (body) wellness? Your strategies for physical well-being are solid. Strength training with weights can increase your overall muscle mass and bone density throughout our aging process. This would be something I could use and could recommend for patients to use themselves on a daily basis.
    Spirituality does not only have to deal with yoga or relaxation. Some questions that I can suggest to you to ask yourself for this area are as followed: Do you feel that you have a purpose in life? Do you accept yourself for who you are? Do you allow yourself time for reflection and inner peace? Do you have a relationship with a higher power of which you believe in? These questions could increase your understanding and awareness of spirituality along with helping you and future patients reach a higher score of overall health and wellness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I am a very healthy eater:) I enjoy lots of veggies, fruits and my favorite snacks are nuts and dried berries. I occasionally have a treat, but don't really have a horrible sweet tooth. I think I could be vegetarian if someone would just prepare it for me. I really don't eat red meat, mostly chicken and fish. To answer your questions, I feel I have a purpose in life this shows in my daily life with my career as a health care provider, as a mom, wife and a friend. I do accept myself for who I am, most of all I like who I am. Every morning after my alarm goes off I take a few minutes to do a quick meditation or reflection for the day. I believe in a higher power but I wouldn't say I have a relationship. I think that is an area that I need to work on probably. Thanks so much for your thoughts, I really appreciate it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel,

    You did a fantastic job on your blog, you are a good writer, and you have a way of reaching the reader. I personally think that your post is inspiring, as a mom I am always looking for areas of my life that could use improvement, but I have also acknowledged that I am not superwoman, so I have learned to take life one step at a time and reward myself for my accomplishments. I comment you for your hard work it sounds like you have a really good system going in all aspects of optimal well-being. Doing the meditation exercise was a first for me and I have to say I have always been a bit hesitant in doing this, but it felt great and I would love to do this on a regular basis. Keep up the good work Rachel, you are inspiring to others.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, and ditto to you. I read your blog and it was awesome. It took me some time to get into the routine of early morning meditation, but now it's a few minutes in the morning that I really look forward to. Try it maybe it will work for you, but if not something else might. Like listening to calming music or just reading a book to get away.
      Rach

      Delete
  6. Rachel,
    You made me feel two (maybe 3) ways when I read your blog. First really happy for you as you seem to be in a good place. Secondly, a little jealous yet inspired. I know jealousy is not a good emotion so lets go with inspired. Clearly I need to refocus my energies on the positives in my life as the negatives are bogging me down. Thank you for reaffirming for me that life is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I hope I would be inspiring, I would never ever want someone to feel jealous of me. I worked for a long time to get to the place I am right now. I do think it is super important not to let the negative energy and/or thoughts bog you down. Life is good but you have the power to make it great. Only you can control your destiny don't let anyone tell you otherwise:)
      Thanks for your response..
      Rachel

      Delete